Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wrestling Training: Part 1

I'm in the middle of my first week of Insanity training... it's tough. I threw up during my fit test on the first day of the 60-day training schedule. There's some sort of comfort in knowing that my mind is pushing my body beyond what it feels capable of. My desire to do Insanity training correctly, without cutting corners is greater than my body's desire for comfort. No, that's not right. Completing Insanity training is not my end goal. My end goal is to be a professional wrestler.


When I'm curled up on the floor of the workout room alone, one thought makes me stand back up. "Being a professional wrestler is going to hurt more than this. If I want to do that, I need to get up NOW!" ...and I continue the workout. I know it's such a long shot of a dream. My physique doesn't exactly scream pro wrestler. That's why I will be trained in lucha libre. Yes, I need strength. But more than strength, I need speed, endurance, agility, control... I feel I have those attributes.

I'm doing Insanity before my 4 week lucha libre trial period so I can know that I gave it my all. I want the very best Randy Romig to show up for this wrestling training. If it becomes nothing, then fine. If I go, and it is the most miserable time, and I am completely embarrassed, and wonder why I ever dreamed of being a pro wrestler... then that is ok, as long as I know that I did everything I could. If I go while I'm not flexible, and not at my quickest, and not eating healthy, then I can make excuses and always wonder "What if?" But by doing Insanity first, putting my body through the wringer, I am eliminating excuses. Even after all of this, if I fail, then I can at least say that I tried my absolute best, and this just isn't the thing for me.

With that being said, I want so badly for this to be the thing for me. I could never wrestle for WWE or any promotion with a brutal travel schedule. I couldn't stand to be away from my wife and kids for long periods of time like that. But if I could join a small time promotion that does a show or two every couple months, with travel distance at a minimum, I imagine I could be happy doing that for a long time. Obviously I want my "comeback moment". You know, the moment in a wrestling match where the fans start to think it's over. And then you counter a big move, and the crowd comes alive. You start fighting back in a weakened and tired state. No one knows where this burst of energy is coming from. You can barely stand but somehow you keep fighting back, and then you pull off a signature move and the place goes nuts. Then, you pull yourself to the top rope for your finishing maneuver. The crowd is now at a fever pitch. Your opponent is in a daze. You leap off the top rope and the entire venue holds their breath. Your attack connects, and the place goes ballistic, but only for a moment, because you cover your opponent and the crowd counts along with the referee. "1.2.3." The fans go crazy, your theme music hits, and the official raises your arm in victory. Your body is completely spent as you stagger around the ring, pointing to the crowd, letting them know that you did it for them. ... But I don't need all that. I would settle for simply being in a match, even if I lose. If I was to be in a match, in front of a crowd, getting paid to preform, then my dream would be satisfied. Everything else I described would just be extra. But, if I was paid real money to be in a wrestling match for others to watch, than I could say I was a professional wrestler.

That's why I'm pushing myself with this Insanity training. So, go ahead and laugh, or make jokes, or roll your eyes, or whatever. I've been a wrestling fan off and on my entire life. I want to give it a shot, just once, and see what it's like inside the ring. So here it goes. Here goes everything I have to make this dream a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment