Monday, February 4, 2013

Comics: Orchid Series Review


Here is the thing about Orchid: despite its flaws, I absolutely enjoyed this series. Since this is a review of the entire series, there are some spoilers. You have been warned.

As most of you know about this series by now, it’s written by guitar legend Tom Morello. The writing is good. Not great, but good. The characters have their distinct voices, which is something I put a very high value on. Scott Hepburn provides the artwork, while Massimo Carnevale takes care of the covers. I was not familiar with Hepburn or Carnevale prior to Orchid, but they are now names I will remember. Especially Carnevale. Some of this covers (3, 6, 12) look stunning, and I would love to just have a framed print on my wall.

My first problem with this series is the shipping dates. 12 issues in 16 months. There were some gaps in between issues shipping. However, when rereading the series, this is a moot point. If I had to pick between monthly releases or high quality product, I will choose the high quality product every time. It was a little annoying waiting for the next issue while I received 2 or 3 issues of the other titles I purchase, but in the grand scheme of things, I would rather have this than a sacrifice in quality. While I can say this is a complaint now, when I reread this series down the road, I doubt I will even remember.

For better or worse, this series feels like a fairy tale. The story is epic, on a grand stage that alters the course of history. But like many fairy tales, we are an outside observer to the whole thing. You never really get “sucked in” to the story. It’s merely a series of events unfolding in front of you. There isn’t a character that demands the reader to feel a connection with. Simon and Orchid are our constant characters from beginning to end. While Simon doesn’t change at all, Orchid does a complete 180. I would say that most readers would fall somewhere in between. Our life events do have an impact on how we think and act, but as adults, we have the same core personality over time. I understand that big life events can change a person, but Orchid goes from wanting to commit suicide to wanting to lead the rebellion army instantly. I’m not new to comic books… I understand that the power of General China’s mask had effect on her, but I just didn’t see any of those leadership qualities before she tried to kill herself. It felt like a reach.

The ending seemed too easy. Orchid succeeded where Opal had failed in the past, and freed the people. Morello did acknowledge that there was a bit of a power vacuum in his epilogue with new groups rising up, but this story still got the “happily ever after” treatment. Tomo Wolfe is dead, and suddenly the people are living in an idealistic utopian society? That’s fine… I just expected more realism somehow. Like I said, this IS a fairy tale. On a personal note… Anzio and Simon are gay!?!? Did I miss some important point along the way? It doesn’t really matter to the story, but it would have been worth mentioning at some point during the story instead of on the last page. And Orchid, former prostitute turned rebel leader is now a paragon of peace and tranquility.

I feel like I’m just spewing out all these negative opinions on this series and I hated it. That’s not true at all. This series was fun. From our first meeting with Opal, to learning the backstory of Barrabas (which, by the way, I think was the coolest character in the whole series), to the battle in Stadia Penuel, to the return of Yehzu… it rocked. Reading through the series again, I can’t help but feel like we were reading the story of “How Orchid saved us from the tyranny of Tomo Wolfe” and the stage is now set for the REAL story. I know the ending was left open, with the reappearance of General China’s mask, but I would be surprised if this story had any sort of sequel.

Tom, Scott, Massimo, and everyone else that worked on this book, thanks. It wasn’t perfect, but it was fun. If you decide to do it again, I’ll be here waiting. Final grade: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment