Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Comics: Daredevil #23

This is the first issue I have bought of Daredevil. Ever. The book got amazing reviews while Ed Brubaker was writing, and the trend has continued with Mark Waid helming the series. I’ve thought about picking it up many times, but always thought, “I don’t have any room in my comic budget right now… maybe another time.” That time is now. With Orchid, Punk Rock Jesus, Godzilla: The Half-Centruy War, and Amazing Spider-Man all ending, I have a little bit of wiggle room. I heard this was a great jumping on point, so I pulled the trigger. I got home, set my 2 year old daughter on my lap, and we began to read Daredevil #23.
...
“Smy-Man!”
“No, that’s not Spider-Man, that’s Daredevil. Say Daredevil.”
“Drrrdevil.”
(Open the front cover, only to see an ad for the Deadpool video game.)
“Smy-Man!!!”
“Umm… sure, that’s Spider-Man. But we’re gonna read about Daredevil.”
“Drrrdevil.”
“Yes.”



Before I finished reading the first page to her, she hopped off my lap, and was off playing. Oh well… no more reading out loud. I was really impressed with the first few pages. I absolutely loved, the fake flashback scene. Well done.
Despite never purchasing a Daredevil comic, I was more than familiar with the characters. I was glad to see Foggy Nelson such a central figure to this story. Being a new reader, it gave me a sense of familiarity.
The bad guys… I am intrigued to see the master plan at work here, and find out who is behind it all. I love how this isn’t just someone with a plan, but it is someone who is specifically out for Daredevil. Between the villain’s plan and the situation with Foggy Nelson, this story is bound to shake Daredevil to his core, both as Daredevil and as Matt Murdock.
Daredevil #23 will not be my last issue. Sign me up, I can’t wait to see where this story goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment