Thursday, February 7, 2013

Comics: Looking at Nova and Hypernaturals

One of my favorite series over the past few years was Nova (Vol. 4) written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. I always had a soft spot for the character in the '90s. When I first began collecting comics, I got Nova (Vol. 2) issue #3. While at the grocery store I saw this issue and thought that Nova looked like a really cool hero, and it guest-starred the Amazing Spider-Man. As I got older, I picked up random issues of various Nova series here and there. Fast forward to 2006. When Annihilation came out, I didn't have the budget at the time to start picking up a new series, but I kept a close watch on the spoilers and reviews, especially since it seemed like Nova was going to be a pivotal character. Was this B-list hero I've watched for years finally getting an upgrade in status? After Annihilation ended, Nova got his own ongoing series once again. After all the acclaim of Annihilation, I had to start getting this new series. Regretfully, I had to stop buying at about halfway through the run, along with every other comic I was buying at the time, after getting laid off work. Once I got back on my feet, Nova was the first comic I started hunting down back issues for. I even got the 3 book hardcover set of the Annihilation series, so I could sit down and enjoy it from beginning to end myself. (Holy crap! So many "wow" moments through the entire series.) For whatever reason, I've always been drawn to the character of Richard Rider as Nova, especially through the storytelling of Abnett and Lanning.

So, what was the point in telling you that? Two reasons...

The first, is because this past year on Free Comic Book Day a new series launched by Abnett and Lanning in an all new creator owned universe called Hypernaturals by BOOM! Studios. I made it a point to check it out. I actually had to go to 3 different local comic shops before I could get my hands on the free issue. I figured if Abnett and Lanning could take a B-list hero with a history in obscurity, and transform him in to one of the most relatable, heroic characters in the Marvel Universe, then I couldn't miss seeing what they could do with a completely blank slate to work with. At the begining there is a ton of information, and backstory, and characters thrown at you. It really can be overwhelming at times figuring out what is happening now, what happened 50 years ago, and what happened 5 years ago, but on the other side of the galaxy. As someone on a limited budget, I nearly dropped the book around issue #4 or 5. I felt like I was just buying it to buy it. It was entertaining, but there were so many unanswered questions after every single issue. I stuck it out. Partially because I try to be loyal to a series, and at least give it a full story arc before casting it aside, and partially because I didn't want to be wrong about taking a chance on this series. I just put down issue #8. Wow. This series has picked up so much steam. I am especially stoked for the character Shoal. He is a young recruit working with the seasoned veterans, and his own powers keep surprising him. Every time he makes a suggestion out in the field, the hyperintelligent member of the team just tells him how to use his own abilities to do the very thing he suggested. I'm excited to see how this character grows. And then there's Clone 34; a primary example of a cliche character at its finest. He's an old washed up hero, forced out of retirement for just one more mission. Issue #9 is shaping up to be a great defining moment for Clone 34, or it could be his swan song. That's the thing with an independent creator made universe: there is absolutely nothing off limits, uncertainty fills every issue. I will definitely be getting Hypernaturals for the long haul.

The second reason for my lengthy intro: a new Nova series is launching soon. Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness are the creators behind this latest entry, Vol. 5. Richard Rider is no longer Nova, as the new "human rocket" is a young man named Sam Alexander. This new Nova has had one of the strangest debuts I've ever seen. First, he has been appearing in the animated series Ultimate Spider-Man, which is entering its second season. Also, last year he appeared in the bookend issues of the crossover event AvX (Avengers vs X-Men). But this new series takes place BEFORE his appearance in AvX or the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series. Regardless, the mythos surrounding Nova have mehooked, as well as the eventual return of Richard Rider. The writers that captured me on the previous series are not back this time around, so there is some hesitation. But, I have faith that Loeb and McGuinness will carry the torch well, as Marvek continues to invest talent in to its cosmic titles. Now, if only we can get Black Bolt on a monthly basis...

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning have continued to impress, even outside of Marvel Comics with their Hypernaturals series, and the groundwork they laid with Nova is about to be used to usher in a new hero in a new series. Let's see if this new Nova can live up to its predecessor.

No comments:

Post a Comment