Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Comics: Nova #1

As far as origin issues go, this one is good. It doesn’t do much to blow you away, but it doesn’t turn you away from the series either. I really enjoy Ed McGuinness’ artwork, but even that doesn’t amaze. It gets the job done. I feel like all this first issue does, is introduce you to the characters, and prepare you for the real story. Which is all that is expected from a first issue.

... I liked all the characters so far. Sam Alexander, the soon to be title character: Nova, is kinda a cliché comic book teen who is about to get super powers. He’s a little rebellious but ultimately has a good heart. 

 The thing that drew me to the previous Nova series was that Richard Rider (that series’ Nova who met his demise in the final issue) was a journeyman B-list hero. So to see him ascend to the level of cosmic hero that he became was a great adventure. Rider had years and years of storytelling behind him to get readers to connect with him. Sam Alexander has had one issue so far.

 I like where the story is going, but like I said, it’s nothing phenominal at this point. I’m more than confident that this series will amaze once they get the formal introductions out of the way

Sidenote: I’m usually not big on getting variant covers, but the variant by Skottie Young is awesome. Glad I got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment