Monday, June 13, 2011

Why?

Why am I writing a blog?

Well, I like to write. I feel like I have good ideas and would love to be a writer some day. For a short time I had the privledge of writing comic book reviews for a website, PopMatters.com. I wrote for them for about six months. Between working 3rd shift (10 p.m. to 6 a.m.) and getting really irritated at the communication skills of my editor, I decided to stop writing. Looking back, I never should have stopped... I contacted the website to see if I could continue my blog I had. (titled "This Was Then". It was a look back to the 90s and the comic books of the time as they impacted the comic industry, and how they impacted me.) They said "no", without much of a reason. I then submitted a piece for their music section, which desperately needed submissions. That got shot down as well. At first I was frustrated. I don't handle rejection well. Rejection motivates some people, but not me. I need encouragement to keep going. Luckily, I have an encouraging wife. I told her that one of the things that upset me the most about getting rejected was that I was so excited to write the article I submitted for the music section. She told me start writing a blog and post it anyways. So I will. And I will post other comic book reviews. And concert reviews. And my thoughts on the local sports scene. So, that is why I am writing this blog. Because of my passion  for telling the world my thoughts and ideas. And also because my wife motivates me and encourages me to keep following my dreams. I want to be a writer. I think this is the next step.

-Randy
Currently: At work, listening to Broken Radio by Pistol Grip

No comments:

Post a Comment