Saturday, January 17, 2015

Comic Reviews: Amazing X-Men #15

Amazing X-Men #15 - writing by Christopher Yost, pencils by Jorge Fornes, colors by Rachelle Rosenberg, cover by Kris Anka.

This is my first ever issue of Amazing X-Men. I just couldn’t help but pick up the return of the Juggernaut. He’s definitely in my top 5 favorite villains, probably in my top 3. Lists of favorite character always ebb and flow, but I think it’s #1 Electro, #2 Boomerang, #3 Juggernaut, #4 Dr. Doom, #5 Bullseye. I’ve always liked the Juggernaut… but this infamous youtube video from years ago pushed it over the edge. (Caution: there's some language in the video.) From that point, I loved the Juggernaut.

I was blown away by how much I enjoyed this roster of X-Men. Storm, Iceman, Nightcrawler, and Rachel Summers… those characters don’t get me too excited. I only recently started to like Colossus during his involvement during the “Cable and X-Force” series. It was a welcome surprise to see a very similar, introspective, self-doubting Colossus here as well. I don’t need all of my characters to be that way, but I think it adds a nice wrinkle to his depth. Also, it was awesome to see him and Domino still hooking up. I loved their relationship during the pages of the aforementioned “Cable and X-Force” series. Domino was another character that really started growing on me during that time, and she has really shot up my list of favorite X-characters. I hope she stays on board for this whole story arc.

Then, there’s Rockslide. The only time I’ve ever read Rockslide before was during the Mesiah CompleX event and for a couple random issues of Avengers Academy. At one point the group of X-Men are headed to check out the ruby of Cyttorak and keep it from falling in to the wrong hands. Once they explain to Rockslide the dangers of the ruby, and warn him not to mess with hit, he responds, “To hell with that! I’m gonna be the Juggernaut!” It made me laugh. Rockslide as a new Juggernaut would be fun, but I’m holding out for one man… Cain Marko. He’s nowhere in these pages (except a flashback) but is mentioned by name on multiple occasions. He should be entering the fray soon, throwing his name in the hat to be the Juggernaut once again.

The issue ends on a very exciting note. Colossus disobeying direct orders, Pixie getting involved in the story, and the X-Men battling what looks to be the diety Cyttorak himself. I am very excited for the next issue.

The art is good. Adequate. Par for the course. There is nothing distracting about the art here, but it doesn’t do anything to wow me. Maybe as we get deeper in to the story, the art will help the story seem a bit grander.

The writing really impressed me. My expectations were low, not looking forward to this roster. I only came for the Juggernaut. (“I came for the Juggernaut” t-shirts could be a great idea.) Colossus, Domino, and Rockslide all gave me a reason to get excited for this story. This issue has set s great tone, and actually delivered more action than I was expecting. However, after the first issue, there’s still no Cain Marko, and other than the characters I mentioned, the rest of the team falls a little flat. Except Storm. She’s just a bitch.

I give Amazing X-Men #15 a solid 7 out of 10 magical rubies of Cyttorak.

No comments:

Post a Comment